Saturday, June 2, 2012

My Reflection on Mubarak's Verdict

Being a news junkie, I always get up from my bed after watching/reading news online from around the world. Yemen is always primarily on my mind but today Egypt was as well. I started my day by watching this report done by award winning journalist, Gaith Abdul Ahad about his exclusive trip to Yemen; meeting Ansar al-Sharia group – al-Qaeda brunch in Yemen...


Watch Al Qaeda in Yemen on PBS. See more from FRONTLINE.

This is not the first time I watch reports made about Ansar al-Sharia but Abdul Ahad's one was a bit distinguished. I believe there is always a huge emphasis on how dangerous Ansar al-Sharia group are but we rarely hear/read about methods to deal with them. However, Abdul Ahad presented a very important fact at the end of the report of how tribes in Yemen are joining their efforts to kick out this group. While the Yemeni government is overlooking Ansar al-Sharia's activities and putting a insufficient effort to fight them – because terrorism is one of the best tools for the government to milk the US aid – Yemeni tribes are doing the job and fighting/kicking them out...


I admit that documentary made me feel terribly depressed. It breaks my heart to see my own people in such risky and dangerous situation. As I watched the report at 9:00 am, I couldn't leave my bed. I froze; feeling depressed. I even remained on bed for the next 12 hours after the second news. Then, Hosni Mubarak verdict news was all over the news. He got sentenced to life in prison for “killing” of protesters during the early days of Egypt's revolution, and his sons, Alaa and Jamal were free! I'm not Ghandi nor Nilson Mandela. I really wish Hosni Mubarak was hanged for all his crimes that he committed during his reign. I was shocked because that was unjust verdict. The matter of fact is, Mubarak has not been to a “real” prison. You are truly fooled if you think so. He has been, God knows, in a fancy place and he would still remain there...



Then, I thought..oh yes, Mubarak must live and enjoy the rest of his life, just like how Ben Ali, Saleh, Assad and Hamad, all those dictators do – Gaddafi is the only one who wanted to “stick out”-.

I admit I'm frustrated and pessimistic. Is this what we, revolutionary Arabs, sacrificed for? We have gave so much to see a change and yet we saw none, in fact, things has just gotten worse! Generally, people in Yemen would like to go back to how things were before 2011. Egyptians as well have went through tough times since 2011.. Tunisia, Syria, Libya, Bahrain .. they all are still struggling heavily. “Can I immigrate to Sweden?”messaged me a friend from Cairo; expressing her frustration. “Now I know how frustrating it was for you, Yemenis, when Hadi was assigned as a president without your consent,”she added.

However, I try to see the bright side of Mubarak and his sons' disappointing verdicts. No doubt, this trail has a symbolic importance. Mubarak, Egypt's long time Pharaoh, was for real behind bars and the sentence could have been more satisfactory if there was a better and transparent judiciary system, but, at least, he was sentenced to a life time imprisonment – it's not like he was released free. I also acknowledge that it's not about changing regimes -otherwise, we could have seen progress in Iraq after Saddam's departure from power- , it's about empowering human rights. We have to focus on improving rights; the right to education, the right to accessible health care system, the right of freedom of press and expression, the right to equal opportunities, the right to have decent life.. etc. In my opinion, that is among the matter that we should and must focus on.